You’ve got your wedding dress, the date is set and preparations are underway – congratulations! If you’re looking for a wedding dress steamer to touch up any creases and wrinkles that have formed during storage I’ve got you covered.
In this post I’ll cover the best steamer for wedding dresses, whether that be a handheld steamer, commercial steamer or travel steamer. I’ll look at the pros and cons of each type of steamer, so you can make the best choice for you. Let’s jump right in:
Best Portable Steamer for Wedding Dress
My top choice for a portable steamer for wedding dresses is the Electrolux Handheld Steamer.
Here’s why this is my top choice for a portable steamer for wedding dresses:
- Two steam settings – great for lower steam output and lower heat for delicate fabrics.
- 10oz water tank – allowing the steamer to run for around 15-18 minutes between refills. This is more water than both the Conair and Rowenta steamers, so you won’t need to stop and refill as many times.
- Ergonomically designed with a good balance between steamer head and water chamber.
- Ceramic sole plate holds heat much better than cheaper plastic varieties.
- Can be used both horizontally and vertically, so you can get up under the dress as well as go sideways across the fabric if needed.
- Quality brand and appliance.
The downsides with this steamer:
- Can get heavy, as you are holding the steamer and water.
- Slightly higher priced than non-branded steamers. Comparable in price to other leading brands such as Conair and Rowenta.
I feel it is worth the price for the Electrolux brand, however, you can buy something similar cheaper, such as the Magic Pro Handheld Steamer. Please read the reviews (the good reviews are often incentivized) before you buy this one.
Why a Portable Steamer is a Good Choice for Wedding Dresses
If you are traveling for your wedding, or getting ready somewhere other than your home, a portable garment steamer is easily transported with you.
Portable or handheld steamers tend to heat up much faster than full size garment steamers and you are not restricted by the length of the steaming hose.
Handheld steamers are also more affordable than full size steamers or commercial steamers.
The downside is the small water chamber that you will need to stop and refill. They can also get a little heavier in your hand than just holding the steamer nozzle with full size garment steamers.
Best Full Size Clothes Steamer for Wedding Dress
When looking at a standing steamer or home steamer for steaming a wedding dress, consider how else you may use this around the home. One of my absolute favorite steamers is the Jiffy Drapery Steamer which has an extra long 7ft hose.
Although designed for curtains and drapes, this is a great length to be able to steam under long skirts and trains on bridal gowns. Jiffy is a commercial steamer brand that are backed by excellent warranties and known to last decades.
With a brand such as Jiffy and the quality of appliance comes a higher price tag, however, worthwhile if you are in the market for a clothing steamer that you will use time and time again. You can check it out here.
Another excellent choice is the Pure Enrichment PureSteam Elite .
Here’s why I like this full sized clothing steamer:
- 1500 watts of steam for excellent steam output.
- 4 steam levels, perfect for adjusting heat and steam for more delicate fabrics. Level 1 is a humidifier setting, if you are looking for a dual use or using the steamer as a humidifier.
- Large water tank (67 ounces) and heats up in 45 seconds for quick steaming.
- Foot operated pedal to turn on and off.
- Another quality brand and appliance, backed by a 5 year warranty.
The downsides with a full size clothing steamer:
- Higher priced than a handheld steamer.
- Less flexibility to move around due to the hose and larger steaming unit.
Best Travel Steamer for Wedding Dress
Eloping, getting married overseas or if you are located outside of the USA, take a look at the dual voltage travel steamers below. These can be used with different voltages.
My top choice for a dual voltage travel steamer for wedding dresses is the Rowenta Xcel Steam Travel DR7051.
Why I like this travel steamer:
- Dual voltage, use between 120V and 220V in different countries
- 1100 watts of steam, more powerful than other dual voltage steamers
- Includes a travel bag and a steam bonnet, which is perfect for diffusing the steam for delicate wedding dresses
- Heats up in 45 seconds
- Reliable brand
The downside with this travel steamer is the small water tank, lasting approximately 8 minutes. If you have a large wedding dress that will need a lot of steaming, stopping to refill could be a little frustrating.
Wedding Dress Steaming
If you’re planning on steaming your wedding dress at home, take a look at my guide to wedding dress steaming. Using my own wedding dress as an example, this guide includes instructions and images of how the wedding dress steaming turned out, as well as my at home simple cheat for making a steam bonnet!
No matter how you store your wedding dress, it is common for a couple of wrinkles to appear before your big day. I've written this guide to wedding dress steaming to help minimize the stress before...
Steamery Stockholm brings us the very stylish Steamery Cirrus No 2 handheld steamer, a portable travel steamer with a Scandinavian design, available in four contemporary colors. They are black, light...